Sunday, August 23, 2009




I was thinking about how much I love the mamaki tree.  Mamaki is Pipturus albidus, the understory Hawaiian tree (it's a small tree), that looks so nice and red in the forest.  The leaf veins are red.  Mamaki always looks so healthy.  I think it is the way in which the branches come out of the trunk, nice and straight, and the heart-shaped leaves can be quite large.  I like the scalloped edges of the leaves too.  

I keep my eyes peeled for butterflies and caterpillars.  Mamaki is the food plant for the Kamehameha butterfly.  The caterpillar takes the leaf edge and folds it over on itself like a blanket.  Then it sews up the sides so it is inside in a cozy pack.  I look for the folded leaves so I can take those babies home and feed them my mamaki.  Then I have the great blessing of being able to see and even hand feed the butterfly.  

No comments: