Thursday, January 22, 2009































I often run a 20 mile loop on the Tantulus Trail system in the rainforest above Honolulu.  It encompases Nuuanu, Makiki, and Manoa valleys.  I have many favorite trees that I encounter along the way.  Here are a few of them.

Perhaps my favorite of them all, is this tree that is located on Nuuanu ridge.  It stands in the center of the trail, with steep cliffs on either side saying, "I own this trail.  If you want to get by, you're going to have to go around me."

The Cooke Pine Forest located in Nuuanu Valley is wonderful to run through.  I love the lines that these trees create.  And its always cool and airy.  The needles create a carpet on the ground that is soft and cushiony to run on.

The Koa Tree is located on the Kalawahine Trail above Pahoa Flats, in the area between Nuuanu and Makiki Valleys.  It is not very large, but it is sure beautiful.  It is often very windy in this area, which is likely why it felt the need to stay low and spread out wide.

It rains a lot in Manoa Valley, creating lush, green moss covered forest. I just love running through this forest on the way to Manoa Falls.

David Carlsson, Oahu

No comments: