Saturday, January 24, 2009

My earliest memory of trees is as a five or six year old boy, playing in and among the Live Oak trees growing on ranch land above the Almaden Valley of California.  Ever since, no matter where I am, my gaze always drifts skyward, in wonder and awe that the trees inspire in me.  

Presently I find myself in Hawaii, on the verdant slopes of Hualalai volcano.  I am the caretaker of this small grove of Cedrela odorata, commonly known as Spanish Cedar.  Something of a misnomer, since they are neither cedar nor Spanish.  You might know them as the "cigar box" tree.  The name gives it away, as the wood is very pungent.  I planted them from seedlings about two years ago, and it has been very satisfying watching them rocket up; playing host, first to insects, and now to birds and their nests.  How wonderful!

Bob Trubel-  Holualoa, Hawaii

No comments: